January 4, 2016

Adios 2015.... Bienvenidos 2016!

I will be turning 36 this year. For most, age is just a number. For me, it’s my biological clock speeding by. I know some of you may find it hard to find seriousness in the fact that I’d like to procreate, but I would. Who wouldn’t want a mini-Beth?? Sheesh!
I look back at years gone by and think, “What should I have done differently?”—why this question always arises at the start of a new year, who knows. I supposed I could have pondered the same thing on August 14 or October 23…. But whatever, it’s the New Year so new changes… I’m not calling them resolutions because that’s just setting you right up for failure; in my case anyway.
I’ve read lots of books about making life changes and I am going to take the route of creating a vision board with things that I will accomplish this year. Here are things that will go on it that I’ve thought of so far:
1.      Get healthy. I don’t need to lose a ton of weight or anything dramatic. I mean, I do, but I only have SO MUCH will power... But I do want to get back into shape so I can play soccer without dying after 1 minute of running. I want to start hiking again. I want to make exercise a part of my routine. As far as eating, I am probably not going to change that too much. I love food and when it comes down to it, I’d rather eat what I want than not.. so there. I should probably also simmer down on the Coors Light but let’s not get too carried away.
2.      Save at least 10% of my income aside from my retirement account. When I was unemployed for an extended amount of time I would literally buy only what I needed and not what I wanted and I lived on a fraction of my income. Those impulse purchases will kill ya! So I’m going to pretend I’m unemployed and broke. I will give myself a budget and will have to stay within that budget.
3.      I will put more effort into myself, aka stop being so damn lazy. (I guess this goes with #1 but what I mean is…).. not getting up and putting on the frumpiest thing I can find because it’s easy to put on. Or not put my hair in a ponytail every day because it’s easier than blow drying it and styling it. I will spend less time on the couch and more time doing things that make me happy.. although that couch and some Bravo series really make me happy… I digress…
4.      I am going to let whatever will be, be. I am not going to force relationships.. whether it be with friends or “friends” wink wink… C'est la vie!!
5.      I am going to go on a vacation to somewhere I want to go. No offense to those that may take offense to this, but I would love to see you and your family, but this vacation is going to be all about me and what/where/who I want to see. I’m fairly certain it doesn’t include you.. sorry!!

I think that’s a good enough start. While I may be getting older, the wiser part is still up in the air but each year brings new challenges, accomplishments and experiences and all in all, I’m pretty darn happy with my life. If only that smart, rich, compassionate, romantic man would show up…

Yes, I love me some Paul Rudd.

1 comment: